Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nowwwwwwwww We're Cooking

Solar Cooking.

On an whim Easter Sunday I grabbed one of my solar cookers and cooked green beans for our contribution to the bigger family Easter celebration. Of course I forgot to take pictures, so I had to "re-enact" the bean cooking inside on the kitchen table lol.



The beans were well cooked in about an hour. Solar cooking is supposed to be a "burn-proof" way of cooking, time will tell of course lol. For the beans I put them in a zip lock bag and then put that inside an oven bag.  There is a black mat to really absorb the heat and a mirror to catch the sun. I found some glass casserole dishes with lids to use in this because I'm not crazy about cooking in plastic. It's definitely the most portable of all the solar cookers I have. Their website is http://www.surferchef.com/ if you want more information. This is the Deluxe Solar Cooker System.


Last week I decided to use my HotPot solar cooker. The metal reflector folds flat and the hot pot set up with its black enamel bowl that fits in a glass bowl with glass lid is extremely efficient. I cooked 2 cups of raw red rice in 5 cups of water in 3 hours. You can read a lot more about HotPot Solar Cooking at http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/HotPot .

No comments: